Tutti-Frutti Ice Cream
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel
- 1 tablespoon chopped
- Long strip of lemon peel
- 4 tablespoons brandy or orange liqueur
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/4 cups heavy
- 2 1/2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Soak fruits and lemon peel in brandy or liqueur for at least 4 hours.
- Put egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and beat until thick and light.
- In another
bowl, whip egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold egg whites into egg yolks with
- Pour the mixture into a container. Cover and freeze until beginning to
become firm around the edges.
- Remove from freezer, and discard the lemon peel from the fruits.
- Mix the fruits, the soaking liquid, and the almonds into the ice cream.
- Spoon into
a 5-cup bowl.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- About 20 minutes before serving, turn out onto a cold plate and leave in the
- Decorate with angelica leaves and quartered cherries arranged in the
shapes of flowers.
Serves 6 to 8.