Vanilla Bean Custard Ice Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, cut in half lengthwise
- 9 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Combine milk, sugar and vanilla beans in the top of a double boiler and heat
over barely simmering water.
- Lightly beat the yolks.
- When milk mixture is almost
to the point of boiling, pour a little into the yolks to warm them. Stir and add
a bit more hot milk.
- Pour warmed yolks into the milk in a slow, steady stream, stirring
constantly. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, over hot, not boiling, water
until mixture coats the spoon.
- Press a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the custard
and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add cream to the custard, and refrigerate for several hours.
- Just before freezing, remove vanilla beans and scrape their seeds into the mixture.
Stir and pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's
Makes 1 quart.