Toasted Pecan Gelato
This gelato is my true favorite and the only item in the book I wasn’t able to
resist eating and eating and eating. I would have a scoop, and put the rest back
in the freezer only to return again for another scoop. And on and on until it was
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup toasted pecans, finely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the milk, cream and 1/3 cup of the brown sugar in a small pan and
cook over low heat, whisking from time to time, until it is warm, about 175
- Place the egg yolk, 1/3 cup of the brown sugar and salt in a small metal
bowl and whisk until completely mixed. Add 1/4 cup of the warm milk mixture
to the eggs, whisking all the while. Continue adding milk to the eggs, 1/4 cup
at a time, until you have added about 1 1/2 cups.
- Slowly, whisking all the while, return the now milk and egg mixture to the
remaining milk mixture in the pan and continue cooking until it just begins
to thicken or reaches about 185 degrees F. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Pour through a medium fine strainer into a metal bowl. Discard the solids.
- Add the pecans and stir well. Set the mixture aside until it reaches room
- Add the vanilla extract and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate until it reaches 40 degrees F, about 3 hours.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer’s
Makes 1 1/2 to 2 pints.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Georgia Pecan Commission
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Gelato, Granita and Ice Recipes