These flowers give sorbet a brilliant color and a tangy flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 ounces dried hibiscus flowers
- Zest and juice
of 1 lemon
- Bring 5 cups water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir until sugar
is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in flowers and lemon zest. Cover and let steep
for one hour.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside.
- Strain syrup and discard solids.
Chill in the ice bath.
- When cool, stir in lemon juice.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to the
Makes about 1 quart.
Hibiscus Punch: Add 2 cups of the hibiscus sorbet mixture (unfrozen)
to 2 quarts of ginger ale, and pour over ice. Garnish with freshly grated lemon