This adds an elegant touch to a dinner party when served between courses to cleanse
the palate. It can also be used as a light refreshing dessert.
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
cup fresh lime juice (4 large or 6 medium limes)
- Lime wedges to garnish (optional)
- Combine water with sugar and corn syrup in heavy saucepan. Stir over high heat
to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to moderate temperature and
let boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and let cool at room temperature.
- Stir in lime juice. Pour into metal mixing bowl and put in freeze until firm
- Place beaters in freezer to chill.
- Remove lime mixture from freezer. Break it up with wooden spoon. Beat on low
speed until free of lumps.
- Return to freezer until firm again.
- Re-beat with chilled
Yields 4 to 6 servings.
The sorbet will keep in the freezer at a smooth consistency for weeks. Lemon
juice can be substituted for lime juice and green food coloring can be added. The
clear, clean look of the lime sorbet without coloring with a garnish of lime wedges