Black Raspberry Pastry Cream
This fresh-tasting berry pastry cream is incredible hidden away in chocolate
or lemon pastry. It’s also wonderful layered into a Génoise cake or petite crepe
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup strained black raspberry puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Chambord
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk over low heat until it is just hot enough
- While the milk is warming, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour
and cornstarch until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Once the milk is steaming, add half of it, whisking constantly, to the egg mixture.
- Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk, continue stirring, and heat it for
1-2 minutes, until the custard reaches 170 degrees F on a digital thermometer and
is very thick.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the black raspberry puree, vanilla
extract, and Chambord.
- Chill the cream before filling pastry.
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes | Yield: approximately 2 cups