Buttermilk Pastry Cream
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Whisk together sugar, flour, and salt; set aside. Put buttermilk and yolks in
a small saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in sugar mixture, and cook over medium heat, whisking
constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract, zest, and lemon juice.
- Pour cream into a bowl set in an ice-water bath. Let cool completely, stirring
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use, up to 2 days.
Makes 1 cup.
Nutritional information: 32 calories, 1 grams fat, 5 grams carbohydrates,
1 grams protein per tablespoon.
This recipe is low in sodium and is low in fat.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pastry Filling Recipes