Caramel Pastry Cream
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 plump vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out with a small spoon
- Place the cornstarch and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl and mix together well;
add egg yolks and mix until a paste is formed. Stir in 1/2 cup milk.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar and water in a small heavy pot and stir to combine.
Cook over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally but not stirring, until sugar
turns a medium amber.
- Carefully pour in remaining milk and stir until smooth. Stir
in vanilla seeds. Bring mixture back to a simmer then pour hot mixture over mixture
in bowl, whisking constantly. Pour back into saucepan. Cook over moderate heat,
stirring constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Remove from heat and stir an additional minute.
- Transfer to a bowl. Cover with
buttered parchment or plastic wrap touching top of cream to avoid skin formation.
- Chill a minimum of 2 hours or as long as 2 days.
Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pastry Filling Recipes