Cinnamon Pastry Cream
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean (split lengthwise)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Place milk, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and ground cinnamon in a saucepan and
heat to a boil.
- While the milk is heating, mix the cornstarch, sugar and salt.
- Gradually add the eggs to the dry mixture and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add 1/3 of the hot milk while whisking constantly (this is tempering the
eggs). Then, pour the tempered eggs back into the saucepan and return to the heat,
stirring constantly (now with a wooden spoon) until the mixture comes to a boil
- Remove the vanilla bean (you can rinse the bean and air dry it then add it to
a canister of sugar to make vanilla sugar) and the cinnamon stick.
- Pour into a large shallow bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap or parchment
to prevent a skin. Cool down a bit before putting in the refrigerator.
- Pastry Cream should keep about 4 days in a cold fridge but it's best within 2
Makes about 1 pound 8 ounces pastry cream.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pastry Filling Recipes