Coconut Cream Puffs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Coconut Cream Filling
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of coconut (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup
- Prepare Cream Puffs. Combine butter, water and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a
boil. Add flour, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir for three to four minutes, until
mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate. Remove from heat and let stand for
- Add eggs one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
Drop batter on to a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 30 to
35 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Split puffs and remove any soft
- Prepare Coconut Cream Filling. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
Gradually stir in milk and cream of coconut. Cook and stir until think and bubbly,
then cook about two more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slightly beat egg yolks with
a fork. Gradually stir in about one cup of hot mixture into egg yolks. Pour egg
yolk mixture mixture into the saucepan with the hot filling. Bring to a gentle boil,
then cook and stir for another two minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter until
melted, then add coconut and vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate, then fill puffs.
can also be topped with meringue and used for coconut cream pie.