Cream Cheese Jam Turnovers
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- 3/4 cup jam,
such as apricot or cherry, or orange marmalade
- Egg wash made by beating together
1 large egg and 1 teaspoon water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar for sprinkling
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of pastry into a 12-inch square
and cut each square into 4 (6-inch) squares.
- Put 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cream
cheese in the center of each square, top it with 1 1/2 tablespoons of jam, and brush
the edges of each square with water.
- Fold the squares in half diagonally to form
triangles, pressing the edges together firmly, and press the edges with the tines
of a fork to seal them well.
- Arrange the turnovers on a dampened baking sheet, brush
them with the egg wash, and with a sharp knife cut several slits (for steam vents)
in the top of each turnover.
- Sprinkle the turnovers with the sugar, bake them in
the upper third of a preheated 425 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until
they are puffed and golden.
- Serve warm.
Makes 8 turnovers.
Per serving: 425 calories; 26 g fat (9.5 g saturated fat; 55 percent calories
from fat); 43 g carbohydrates; 50 mg cholesterol; 201 mg sodium; 6 g protein; 1
Source: Gourmet - March 1993