Ginger Pastry Cream
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (no substitutes)
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
Whisk in cornstarch.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring milk, vanilla
extract and ginger to a simmer, until mixture bubbles around the edges.
- Remove from heat and slowly pour milk mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the liquid back to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with
a wooden spoon until thick, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in whipping cream and butter.
- Strain pastry cream into a clean bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until cold.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pastry Filling Recipes