Mascarpone Turnovers with
Orange Caramel Sauce
This truly is a dessert that is fit for a king! The filling consists of Fuji
and Granny Smith apples, Marsala wine and mascarpone cheese. The turnovers are
then topped with a sauce made from cream, orange juice and butter.
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups Fuji apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sweet marsala wine
- 20 ounces Wisconsin mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 16 (6-inch diameter) pie dough rounds, cut from pastry sheets
- 2 large eggs, beaten for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- For caramel: Place 2 cups sugar in small sauce pot. Cook over high heat
until it starts to melt. Continue stirring until sugar is completely melted
and starts to turn golden brown. Reduce heat and slowly add cream until
- Add orange juice, 4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla
extract. Remove from heat and strain. Stir in orange zest and set aside.
- For filling: Melt 1 ounce butter and the brown sugar in large sauté pan.
Add apples and cook until they start to soften.
- Sprinkle in cornstarch; cook until mixture starts to thicken.
- Carefully add marsala and remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla extract; cook 1
minute. Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat mascarpone, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon in mixing bowl until smooth,
being careful not to overbeat.
- Fold cooled apples into the cheese mixture until incorporated.
- For final preparation: Place heaping tablespoon of apple filling in
center of each pastry round. Brush edges with egg wash. Fold pastry in half,
creating half moon shape. Press edges together and press with fork to seal.
Brush turnovers with remaining egg; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at
350 degrees F for 22 to 27 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with orange caramel
sauce. Add scoop of vanilla ice cream on side, if desired.
- Or serve with a dollop of equal portions of mascarpone and whipped
Yield: 8 servings
Reprinted with permission from Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.