Popovers with Strawberry Butter
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter
cup strawberry preserves
- About 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Strawberry Butter: Soften butter to room temperature. Using an electric mixer,
whip in preserves.
- Cover mixture; refrigerate. (Or roll into logs, wrap well and freeze.) Bring
to room temperature before using.
- Popovers: Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Oil popover tin or muffin tin lightly (oil
all surfaces, not just the cups).
- Beat eggs with whisk or hand mixer until lemon-colored and foamy. Add milk; blend
well, but do not over-beat. Add salt and flour all at once. Beat until foamy and
smooth on top.
- Pour popover batter into a pitcher so that it can be easily poured. Fill popover
tin with batter. (If using muffin tin, fill every other cup so that when popovers
puff they will not touch each other.)
- Bake for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes more.
Do not open door while baking.
- When ready to serve, remove popovers from pan with
a sharp knife.
Yield: 6 Popovers; 2 3/4 cups Strawberry Butter