Strawberry-Almond Cream Napoleons
- 1 sheet (half of 17-ounce package) frozen puff pastry
- 1 package (3.4 ounces)
instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup light whipped topping
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced California strawberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Thaw folded pastry sheet 20 minutes. Open sheet and
cut along folds to make three equal strips; halve each strip to make six rectangles.
Space apart on baking sheet. Bake in center of oven about 15 minutes until well
browned and baked through. Remove to rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk pudding mix, milk and extract 2 minutes; fold in whipped
topping to blend thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate. Carefully split each piece of
pastry in half horizontally. Cover bottom halves with almonds, then pudding mixture
and sliced strawberries, dividing equally. Cover with pastry tops. Dust with powdered
- Serve with Strawberry Sauce (recipe follows), if desired.
- To make Strawberry Sauce: Stem and halve 1 pint basket California strawberries
and puree in blender container with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon
lemon juice until smooth.
- To serve, divide sauce among 6 plates; top each with Napoleon.
Makes 6 servings.
All components of this dessert can be prepared several hours in advance.
Cover and refrigerate pudding mixture, strawberries and sauce. Assemble just before
Nutritional Information: 413 calories; 20 g fat; 1 mg cholesterol; 354 mg
sodium; 52 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 7 g protein
Recipe and photo credit: California Strawberry Commission.