Strawberry Shortcake Baklava
- 1 package Athens Fillo Dough (9 x 14 inches), thawed
- 3/4 pound strawberries, 1/2-inch diced
- 1 cup Marie’s Glaze for Strawberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Whipped cream
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Heat oven
to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add strawberries and cook until steam
is released, about 3 minutes.
- Add glaze, honey and a pinch of salt. Stir continuously. Cook until thick, about
8 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Unroll and cover the sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying
- Place one sheet of fillo horizontal on parchment paper. Brush lightly with butter.
- Place another sheet overlapping 1/4 of the butter sheet horizontally. Butter
- Repeat process vertically with two more sheets of fillo to form a cross.
- On parchment paper, perform two layering processes. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the almonds
over the buttered fillo.
- Repeat layering process. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the almonds over the buttered fillo.
- Repeat layering process.
- Spread cooled strawberry mixture over 3/4 of the fillo leaving a 2 inch strip
at the far end of the fillo.
- Repeat layering process. Sprinkle the remaining almonds. Repeat layering process.
- Using the parchment paper to help roll, starting with the closest edge fold over
the fillo and begin rolling. Complete the roll. Lightly butter the outside of the
roll. Transfer roll to baking tray on the parchment. Cut five vents half way through
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut through vents, then cut each piece in half on a diagonal.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Nutritional Info: Calories 210 Calories from Fat 150 Total Fat 16g Saturated
Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 20mg Sodium 110mg Total Carbohydrate 13g Dietary
Fiber 2g Sugars 9g Protein 5g
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Dessert Pastry Recipes