Amaretto Floating Island
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 4 cups milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 3 tablespoons toasted chopped almonds for garnish
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks
form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. In a deep
skillet or saut pan, heat the milk until bubbles form around the edge. Using a tablespoon,
drop mounds of meringue onto the milk; do not crowd the pan. Poach gently for about
4 minutes, turning once. Adjust the heat to prevent milk from boiling. Remove the
meringues with a slotted spoon or skimmer. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the
remaining meringue. Strain the milk into a 2-quart saucepan and use for custard
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar,
and the salt. Slowly whisk in 1 1/2 cups of the warm milk. Whisk the egg mixture
into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the
mixture will coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in
- Pour the cooled custard into a serving dish. Place the poached meringues on top
- To serve, sprinkle the meringues with chopped almonds.
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 7/31/2001 8:17am.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pudding, Mousse and Custard Recipes