Banana Caramel Custard
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 medium-size slightly overripe bananas, peeled and cut into pieces
- 8 large eggs
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Strawberries (optional)
- Fill a roasting pan or a 13 x 9-inch baking pan half full of hot tap water and
place on an oven rack in the center of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of the sugar over medium heat for about
5 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally until the sugar has melted and turns golden
brown. Watch the sugar carefully after it liquefies. If it gets too dark, it will
taste burned. Immediately pour the mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan so the sugar
(caramel) covers the bottom of the pan completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the banana and remaining 3/4 cup sugar with an electric
mixer on high speed until completely liquefied with no lumps. Or process in a food
processor. Beat in the eggs until well blended. (If using a food processor, scrape
the mixture into a large bowl.) Add the evaporated milk, vanilla extract, nutmeg
and salt. Beat with a mixer on low speed or stir just until blended. Pour the mixture
into the loaf pan. (Don't worry if the caramel cracks.)
- Carefully place the baking pan in the center of the pan of hot water. Bake for
1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out
clean and the top is browned. Remove the pan from the water and set on a wire rack
to cool completely. When cooled, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- To serve, run a thin knife around the inside edges of the custard. Invert a serving
plate over the pan. Invert the pan and plate together. Lift the pan and allow the
syrup to run onto the plate.
- Serve right away or cover loosely with plastic wrap
and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut into 10 slices.
Source: Womans Day Cookbook
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.