Banana Pudding 3
- 2 cups vanilla wafers
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 1 1/4 cups plus
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 8 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 8 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup crumbled chocolate-covered
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Place vanilla wafers in a shallow bowl and sprinkle with rum and Bourbon. Set
- Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar, flour, salt, milk, egg yolks and 2 teaspoons vanilla
extract in top of a double boiler. Place over simmering water. (Do not let water
boil or touch bottom of top pan.) Stir continuously until thick enough to heavily
coat back of a metal spoon. Place top of double boiler in a bowl of ice water. Stir
for about 5 minutes to stop the cooking.
- Layer half of vanilla wafers, half of bananas, half of custard and 1/2 cup crumbled
toffee bars in an 8 x 12-inch glass baking dish. Repeat layers.
- Whip cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Spread whipped cream
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup crumbled toffee bars over top.
Serves 10 to 12.
Source: Stop and Smell the Rosemary...Recipes and Traditions to Remember