Bananas Foster Rum Pudding
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- Dash of salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 bananas, split and quartered
- 2 tablespoons Creme de Banane liqueur or 2 tablespoons banana extract
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a heavy saucepan.
- Beat egg yolks; combine egg yolks and milk, mixing well. Stir in dry ingredients;
cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened. Remove
from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Melt butter in a large skillet; add brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook over
medium heat until mixture is bubbly.
- Add bananas; heat for 2 to 3 minutes, basting constantly with syrup. Stir
in banana extract or liqueur.
- Put rum in a small saucepan and heat. Remove from heat, ignite with a long
match, and pour over bananas. Baste bananas with sauce until flames die down.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add confectioners' sugar
until soft peaks form. Beat in rum.
- Layer one third of wafers in a 3-quart baking dish. Cover wafers with 1/3
of banana mixture. Pour 1/3 of custard over bananas. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover with whipped cream.