Black Currant Flan
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 125g (4 ounces) butter
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
- Water and caster sugar to glaze
- 500g (1 pound) black currants
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Pastry: Sift the flour and cinnamon together into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the
mixture resembles bread crumbs. Stir in the caster sugar. Add the egg yolk and water
and mix into a firm dough. Knead lightly, then roll out thinly on a floured surface
and use to line an 18cm (7 inch) flan ring.
- Chill the flan and pastry trimmings for 15 minutes.
- Filling: Put the blackcurrants and brown sugar in a pan. Cover and cook gently for 10
minutes, then uncover, increase the heat and cook until thick and syrupy. Turn onto
a plate to cool.
- Place the fruit in the flan case. Roll out the pastry trimmings, cut into strips
and make a lattice pattern over the fruit. Brush with water and sprinkle with caster
- Bake in preheated moderately hot oven, 200 degrees C (400 degrees F), for
25 to 30 minutes, until golden.
- Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pudding, Mousse and Custard Recipes