Chocolate Fig Pudding
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup ground semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup diced,
dried black figs
- In food processor or large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs
and vanilla extract. Add cocoa powder, ground chocolate and almonds; mix until light
- In separate, medium-size mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar
and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to chocolate mixture.
Blend slowly until smooth. Fold in figs.
- Pour batter into greased 1 1/2-quart pudding
mold. Place on rack in large, deep steamer pot or roasting pan with 1 inch boiling
- Steam at moderate heat on top of stove for 1 1/2 hours, checking water level
every half hour.
- Serve warm, dusted with confectioners' sugar or topped
with whipped cream.
Makes approximately 8 slices.
This may be made several days in advance and refrigerated. Reheat in steamer