Chocolate Sponge Custard
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup chocolate-flavored syrup
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Fluff or whipped cream, optional
- In small mixing bowl at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until
stiff but not dry, just until whites no longer slip when bowl is tilted.
- In small mixing bowl, at high speed, blend or beat yolks, milk, syrup, flour,
and vanilla extract until smooth. Gently, but thoroughly, fold into beaten whites.
- Place 6 (6 ounce) lightly greased custard cups in large baking pan. Pour egg mixture
- Place pan on rack in preheated 350 degrees F oven.
- Pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of top of custards.
- Bake until puffed and cake tester or wooden pick inserted near center comes out
clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove promptly from hot water.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with a dollop of Marshmallow Fluff or whipped cream.
Recipe and photo credit: American Egg Board