Classic Baked Custard
- 3 cups milk
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Arrange 6 (1-cup) custard cups (or coffee cups) in a shallow roasting pan large
enough to hold the cups without touching. Set rack in lower third of the oven.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In heavy medium-size saucepan, barely boil the milk. In large bowl with a pouring
spout, whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar until pale and thick, about 30 seconds. Slowly
pour in the hot milk, whisking constantly.
- Add vanilla extract and pour mixture into the cups, then place the roasting pan
in oven. Fill pan with very hot tap water to within 1/2 inch of the top of the custard.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. To test doneness, insert a knife 1 inch from the custard's
edge. The knife should come out clean. The center will still be jiggly, but custard
will finish cooking after it's out of the oven.
- Remove some of the hot water with a baster, then remove custard cups.
This may also be baked in a 1 1/2-quart casserole, placed in a larger pan
with hot water poured halfway up the sides. Bake for one hour.