Creme Brulee (Burnt Cream)
In the American Northeast, this dish is called Vermont Baked Custard. It is known
as Cambridge Cream at Trinity College in Cambridge, England, where it is a specialty.
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 12 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine cream, milk, sugar and salt. Heat over
boiling water until sugar is dissolved. Pour cream mixture into beaten egg yolks;
mix well, and add vanilla extract.
- Pour into a 9 x 12-inch baking dish.
- Bake in
a large pan containing boiling water to a depth of 1 inch for 45 minutes.
from oven and chill.
- Several hours before serving, cover top of custard with brown sugar forced through
a sieve, until sugar glaze is about 1/4 inch thick all over. Place under the broiler,
watching carefully, until sugar is melted, being sure not to burn.
- Chill once more