Eggnog Pots de Creme
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dark rum, optional
- 1 teaspoon brandy, optional
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Over medium heat in a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, bring milk, cream and sugar
just to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, with fork, mix together yolks and egg just to break them up
without incorporating a lot of air. Slowly add the milk, mixture, stirring with
wooden spoon. Strain mixture through sieve into a pitcher; stir in nutmeg, cloves,
rum and brandy, if using. Let mixture rest, without stirring, for 1 minute. Skim
off any bubbles or foam remaining on surface.
- Pour scant 1/2 cups of mixture into six (4 ounce) pots de creme cups or 3-inch
ramekins. Set custards in a baking dish; fill dish with very hot tap water to come
about 2/3 up sides of cups. If using pots de creme cups, cover with lids; otherwise
cover pan with foil.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until custards are set.
- Remove from oven
and water bath to cooling rack. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate
3 hours or overnight.
- Serve lightly chilled.
Makes 6 servings.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 12/19/2001 12:12 pm.