This pudding is particularly good following a Mexican meal.
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/3 cups cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cool water
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated nutmeg
- Stir brown sugar into boiling water.
- Mix cornstarch and cool water. Add to brown
sugar mixture, and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Pour over beaten egg whites. Add almond extract, and fold gently. Chill.
- To prepare custard sauce, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch. Add
to milk and cook over medium heat, continuing to whisk until thickened. Stir in
- Scoop pudding into individual bowls, and top with custard sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated nutmeg.
Serves 6 to 8.