Lemon Sponge Pudding
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Lemon rind
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating
well after each addition. Beat in the lemon juice, flour, lemon rind and salt. Add
the milk in a steady stream, beating and combining the mixture well.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar in a medium-size bowl until stiff
peaks form. Stir one-fourth of the egg whites into the lemon mixture. Gently, but
thoroughly, fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart soufflé
- Set the dish in a deep pan and pour boiling water into the pan to come halfway
up the sides of the dish.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown
on the top.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar over the top.
- Serve warm or chilled;
garnish with lemon rind.