Louisville Banana Pudding
Assemble this in a round bowl with sloping sides.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 6 bananas, thinly sliced
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Set a wide strainer over a large bowl. Beat yolks and set aside in a place near
- Whisk sugar, flour and milk in a heavy saucepan until free of lumps. Set over
medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula, just to a boil.
Remove from heat and whisk a little of the hot, thick pudding into the beaten yolks,
then pour yolk mixture back into the main pudding mixture, whisking very well. Continue
to cook 1 to 2 minutes more, stirring constantly until thick. Strain, then stir
in vanilla extract and butter until butter melts.
- To store, press plastic wrap directly
onto the surface of the pudding and refrigerate 3 hours.
- In a cold bowl with cold beaters, whip cream to stiff peaks. Fold into cold pudding.
Line an ovenproof dish with half the vanilla wafers and sprinkle lightly with bourbon.
Top with one-third of the pudding, then half the bananas. Add another layer of wafers
and bourbon, the next third of pudding, and then remaining bananas. End with a final
layer of pudding.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla extract to stiff peaks. Gradually
add the 2/3 cup sugar and beat until stiff again. Starting at the edge of the pudding.
pipe or swirl a border of meringue around circumference of the dish to make a seal.
Pipe or swirl remaining meringue all over the pudding.
- Heat in the oven 10 to 15 minutes to brown meringue tips. Cool at room temperature.
- Serve cold.
Makes 16 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pudding, Mousse and Custard Recipes