Mango Cream with Coconut Crisp
- 4 large mangoes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly toasted Coconut
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- 1 brown coconut, shelled and peeled
- Mango Cream: Peel the mangoes and cut them into pieces. Place the mango pieces
in a medium-size saucepan with water to cover, and cook them over low heat for 10
minutes, or until very tender.
- When cooked, put the mango through a food mill until you have a thick pulp. Place
the pulp in a small bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and chill it for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream with an electric mixer or wire whisk, slowly sprinkling
in the sugar. When the mango pulp is chilled, slowly fold in the sweetened cream,
stirring only enough to make sure that the ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour the mango cream into individual sherbet glasses, sprinkle each serving with
some of the toasted coconut, garnish with mint and serve.
- Coconut Crisp: Open coconut by baking it at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes, then
whacking it soundly with a hammer on its “fault ” line. Take out the
coconut meat, reserving the liquid for other uses.
- Remove the brown rind from the meat and pare the coconut into long thin strips
with a potato peeler or paring knife. Place the pieces on a cookie sheet and brown
them under the broiler for about 5 minutes, or until they are lightly toasted to
charred black in the blink of an eye.
- Serve warm with Mango Cream.
Source: Good Morning America