Nilla Banana Pudding
This is the original recipe right off the box. This is very pretty if you use
the rainbow wafers.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- Nilla Wafers
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 5 or 6 medium ripe bananas
- Dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Reserve 2 tablespoons sugar.
- In top of double boiler combine remaining sugar, flour and salt. Beat in 1 whole
egg and 3 egg yolks; reserve 3 egg whites. Stir in milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling
water, stirring constantly, 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and
- Spoon about 1/2 cup custard into bottom of 1 1/2-quart casserole dish,
cover with a layer of Nilla wafers. Top with a layer of sliced bananas; pour about
2/3 cup custard over bananas. Continue layering , ending with custard.
- In a small bowl, beat reserved egg whites until stiff but not dry; gradually
adding 2 tablespoons reserved sugar; beat till mixture forms stiff peaks.
on top of custard; spreading to cover entire surface.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes, or until surface is lightly browned.
before serving garnish with banana slices, if desired.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Makes 8 servings.