Orange Creamsicle Rice Pudding
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup 100% orange juice*
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped orange
- 3 whole eggs, beaten well
- 3 cups warm cooked basmati rice (right out
of the steamer or cooking pot)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 10 fresh mint sprigs
* May substitute Florida Orange Juice from Concentrate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine half-and-half and milk in medium saucepot. Add sugar, vanilla
extract and orange
zest. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, while stirring continually, until sugar
is dissolved. The mixture should smell like a creamsicle.
- Place beaten eggs in medium mixing bowl. Slowly pour hot liquid into eggs while
whisking constantly until all liquid is absorbed. Whisk in orange juice; then stir
in rice and cranberries. Pour mixture back into saucepot and cook, stirring constantly
over medium heat until mixture becomes hot and slightly thickened, about 3 to 4
- Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour warm pudding
mixture into dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Check to see if pudding is softly set
(it should jiggle when shaken).
- Use large tablespoon or ice cream scoop to portion out rounded spoonsful of hot
pudding into 10 pudding or parfait dishes.
- Drizzle with orange cranberry glaze and
garnish with fresh mint.
Reprinted with permission from
the Florida Citrus Commission.