Original Nilla Banana Pudding
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup flour
- Dash salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 45 NILLA Wafers, divided
- 5 bananas, sliced
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks
and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10 to 12 min. or until thickened,
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
- Reserve 12 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard onto bottom of
1-1/2-quart baking dish.
- Cover with layers of 1/3 each of the remaining wafers, bananas
and remaining custard. Repeat layers 2 times.
- Beat egg whites on high speed of mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat
in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over custard, sealing well to
edge of dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly.
- Top with reserved wafers just before serving.
prep: 30 min | total: 50 min | 12 servings, 2/3 cup each
How to Prepare Without a Double Boiler:
A double boiler helps to keep custards,
such as the pudding filling for this recipe, smooth. If you don't have a double
boiler, you can make your own by placing a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering
water on top of the stove. Be sure to use a bowl that fits snugly over the pan.
Most importantly, do not allow the simmering water to touch the bottom of the bowl.
Use pot holders when removing the bowl of cooked custard from the saucepan as
it will be very hot.
Make it Easy: Use an egg slicer to quickly and uniformly slice the bananas.
Special Extra: Garnish with additional banana slices just before serving.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pudding, Mousse and Custard Recipes