- 1 (16 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 8 orange twists or maraschino cherries
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, 1/3 cup of the sugar, the eggs,
1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract, the cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Beat until well
blended; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook remaining sugar over medium-high heat, stirring until
melted and golden brown. Immediately pour syrup into eight 4-ounce custard cups,
dividing evenly. Place cups into a baking pan and fill with pumpkin mixture. Pour
hot water into pan until filled to half the depth of the cups.
- Bake for 45 to 55
minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean; remove from oven. Cool and run
a knife around edge of cup. Invert on serving plate.
- In small bowl, whip cream with confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla
extract until firm.
- Top flan with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with orange
twist or cherry.
Flan may also be baked in a 9-inch pie plate for 60 to 65 minutes.