World's Best Rice Pudding
This recipe is thick, creamy and yummy. I like it so much that I double it.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup medium or short grain white rice
- 4 cups milk
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Heat butter in a 4-quart saucepan. When butter is frothy add rice and cook for
- Slowly add milk, pinch salt, sugar and vanilla extract, and bring to under a
- Transfer to a 9-inch baking pan or casserole and set in oven.
- Bake uncovered
for 1 1/2 hours stirring every 15 minutes.
- Then bake undisturbed for 30 minutes. Stir again and cook undisturbed for 30
Total time: 2 1/2 hours
Variations: You can add heavy cream in the last half hour of baking. Or if you
want a crusty topping, reduce sugar in recipe to 1/4 cup. Once out of oven, crumble
brown sugar and butter over rice pudding and run the pudding under the broiler until
melted and bubbly.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 4/21/02 4:57:06 pm.