Cherry Spoon Sweet
This is great by itself, but also try it on toast, ice cream, waffles, etc. The
beet in the recipe provides extra color as well as earthy flavor.
- 2 pounds very firm sweet cherries
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh
- 1 red beet, washed, trimmed, and quartered
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Place cherries and sugar in a large bowl; toss gently to mix well.
- Cover and
- Transfer cherries and their syrup to a medium pan and heat over medium heat,
stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and syrup comes to a boil, about 10
minutes. Boil gently for three minutes more.
- Allow to cool completely, then transfer
cherries with a slotted spoon to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Boil syrup in pan for one minute over medium heat. Add lemon juice and beets,
and continue to boil until syrup reaches 240 degrees F (soft ball stage) on a candy
thermometer (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Add cherries and boil for two minutes.
pan from heat again, and stir in vanilla extract.
- Cool completely, then discard
- Transfer the mixture to a clean quart jar, and store in the refrigerator.