This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Cinnamon Custard Sauce
This custard sauce is great with steamed puddings, cakes, or pies, especially
those made with apples.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light cream
- 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the milk, cream and cinnamon in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once at
a boil remove from heat and leave to infuse for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks and sugar until they thicken and turn
lemon colored. If necessary, reheat the milk and cream. Pour the hot liquid into
the yolk mixture, stirring constantly. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and place
on a low heat. Cook gently to thicken, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
The sauce is done when a finger drawn across the back of the spoon leaves a mark.
- Strain into a clean bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Yield: 2 cups