Apple Spice Cake Trifle
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box spice cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups cinnamon applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 large box instant
vanilla pudding mix
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix
- 1 (12 ounce) container
frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup English toffee
bits or almond brickle chips
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, applesauce, eggs and oil; beat on medium
speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near
the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, cook pie filling, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until butter
is melted; stir until well blended.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, pudding mix, topping mix and remaining cinnamon.
Beat on high until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spread a third of the topping in a 6-quart clear glass bowl.
- Cut cake into cubes; place half over topping. Top with half of the fruit mixture,
walnuts and pudding mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with remaining topping mixture.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
Yields 20 to 24 servings.