Banana Macaroon Trifle
A chewy homemade macaroon mixture takes the place traditionally held by cake
in this trifle. No time to bake? Use store-bought macaroons instead.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands®,
All Natural, No Corn Syrup Added, Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3 to 4 small firm bananas, sliced
- 1 tablespoon pineapple
- 1 (12 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and
- Combine the flour, oats and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately
with milk, beating well after each addition (mixture will appear curdled). Stir
- Spread in a well-greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25-30
minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool completely; crumble. Set aside 1/4
cup for topping.
- Just before serving, toss bananas with pineapple juice.
- In a 2 1/2-quart serving
bowl, layer a third of the macaroon crumbs, whipped topping and bananas.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
Prep: 20 min.
Bake: 20 min.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 300 calories, 12 g fat (10 g
saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2
Source: Quick Cooking - March/April 2002