Black Forest Trifle
- 1/2 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cake: Prepare cake mix according to package directions; cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Line bottom of 2 quart bowl of trifle dish with half of cake slices; sprinkle with
2 to 4 tablespoons rum.
- Spoon half of cherry pie filling over cake; top with half of chocolate pudding.
- Repeat procedure with remaining cake, rum, pie filling and
custard. Cover and chill.
- Chocolate Custard: Combine first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Combine eggs and milk, gradually stir into dry mixture.
- Bring water in double boiler to
a boil, reduce heat to low and cook custard, stirring constantly until thick. Cool.
- Topping: Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add confectioners' sugar,
beating until soft peaks form.
- Spread over custard; garnish with almonds.
Yield: 10 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.