- 1 pound sponge or angel food cake
- 1/3 cup blueberry
jam or pie filling
- 3 tablespoons cream sherry or sweet sherry
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups blueberry pie filling
- 1 cup whipping cream
tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup milk or
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- 3 beaten egg yolks
- Cut cake into even slices or layers about 1 inch thick. Spread with jam or pie
filling. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Put into large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with sherry
and toss lightly.
- Clean berries; reserve 1/2 cup clean berries for garnish.
- Arrange cake cubes in individual serving bowls or champagne stem glasses. Add
about 2 tablespoons pie filling over cake.
- Pour custard over cake and add about
1 tablespoon fresh berries.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- One hour before serving, whip cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla
extract. Garnish trifle with fresh berries. Top with whipped cream.
- After topping
with cream, serve within a few hours as whipped cream will make the cake become
- Custard: Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup milk or half-and- half.
- In heavy saucepan, heat 1 3/4 cups milk with sugar just to boiling. Remove from
heat; stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Simmer
for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla extract and egg yolks. Whisk until
- Cover; chill for at least 1 hour.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
For a change, strawberry, peach or apricot may be substituted.