Chocolate Toffee Trifle
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate-covered English toffee bits (two 6 ounce bags)
- Semisweet chocolate shavings
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and flour 9-inch square baking pan with 2-inch-high
- Melt 1 1/2 ounces chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water,
stirring until smooth. Remove from over water. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Beat brown sugar and butter
in large bowl until blended. Add egg; beat well. Beat in yolk. Add melted chocolate;
beat until blended.
- Mix in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beginning
and ending with dry ingredients. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and vanilla extract;
stir until blended (batter will be thin.)
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out
clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer pan to rack and cool completely. (Can be prepared
1 day ahead. Cover with foil and store at room temperature.)
- Beat cream in large bowl until stiff peaks form. Spoon 1 1/2 cups whipped cream
into bottom of large glass trifle bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup toffee bits. Crumble
1/3 of cake over toffee.
- Repeat layering of whipped cream, toffee bits and cake,
creating 3 layers of each. Spoon remaining whipped cream over top, spreading to
- Cover trifle; refrigerate at least 4 hours. (Trifle can be prepared 1 day
ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
- Sprinkle trifle with chocolate shavings and serve.
Serves 10 to 12.