This is a very elegant dessert.
- 1 (10 to 11 ounce) pound cake
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 or 4 kiwi fruit, pared and cut unto 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cream sherry or vanilla extract
- Cake: Cut pound cake in 1/2-inch slices; drizzle with sherry. Spread two-thirds of
slices with preserves. Place about one-third of cake slices spread with preserves
in 2 1/2 to 3-quart bowl; spread with 1/2 cup custard. Repeat. End with plain cake
slices and custard.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Arrange kiwi fruit over custard. Whip cream until stiff; stir in confectioners'
sugar and vanilla extract. Pipe whipped cream around edge; sprinkle cream with almonds.
- Custard: Beat eggs; add milk, sugar and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
until mixture coats metal spoon. Cool; stir occasionally. Stir in cream sherry or
vanilla extract. Custard made from a package can be substituted.
- Garnish with whipped cream and sliced almonds.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings; 2 cups Custard
Tip: For individual serving, sprinkle 1/2-inch slice pound cake with 1 1/2 teaspoon
cream sherry. Spread with 1 1/2 teaspoons raspberry jam; top with 1/4 cup custard
or pudding. Arrange 1/2 kiwi fruit, sliced, over custard.