Old-Fashioned English Trifle
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup jam or jelly (any flavor)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries or raspberries, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup sherry
- 2 small boxes custard mix, prepared
- 1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped
- Blanched almonds
- Glace cherries
- Prepare cake mix several days in advance. Save one-half for another time and
use one-half for trifle. Allow cake for trifle to dry out.
- Thinly slice the cake, lining the bottom and sides of a round bowl with the slices.
A glass bowl is best because the colors of the layers are attractive.
- On this first layer, sprinkle half of brandy and 1/2 cup sherry. Then spread with
mixture of jam and nuts, then fruit.
- Pour custard on top; repeat layers.
- Spread with heavy cream and decorate with almonds and cherries.
Trifle tastes best if made 1 to 2 days in advance.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.