Pina Colada Trifle
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box butter yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water or coconut milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sour cream
- 2 (6 ounce) packages frozen fresh coconut or 2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 1 (7 ounce) can flaked coconut (reserving 1/4 cup for garnish, may be toasted)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Yellow food coloring
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can pineapple slices, well drained
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup reserved coconut
- Cake: Place all ingredients except rum in mixing bowl and beat for 4 minutes.
Pour into 3 (8-inch) cake pans which have been greased and floured. Bake at 375
degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool.
- Split to make 6 layers. Sprinkle split side with 1/2 cup light rum.
- Custard: Mix ingredients together.
- Fruit: Drain pineapple syrup. Add cornstarch in a saucepan. Add food color and
cook on low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and add drained pineapple and
cool. To layer, place cut side up of one cake layer in bottom of 8-inch trifle bowl.
Spread with about a cup of custard. Over custard, spread a light layer of crushed
pineapple mixture. Continue layering of cake and mixture until all is used up, ending
with cut side down of top layer and only a layer of custard.
- Cover and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Serving: Whip cream until stiff. Add confectioners' sugar. Mound on top
of trifle and garnish with pineapple slices, maraschino cherries and toasted coconut.
Or substitute the above with Cool Whip and 1 teaspoon rum flavoring.
This will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Trifle and Tiramisu Recipes