Raspberry Chocolate Mousse Trifle
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or squares
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- Seedless raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup Chambord (raspberry liqueur)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large container Cool Whip
- Prepare cake according to directions on package and bake in a greased 13 x 9-inch
- Cut cake in half and save half for the next time. It will freeze well.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Cool.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat butter with confectioners' sugar until light.
- Add the egg yolks and beat until well blended and creamy. Add the cooled chocolate
and liqueur. Gently fold in beaten egg whites. Chill.
- Use a clear trifle dish or a beautiful deep serving dish. Crumble half of the
cake and put it in the bottom of the serving dish. Spread a very, very thin layer
of raspberry jam over the top. Pour half of the chocolate mousse on top followed
by the Cool Whip.
- Repeat the layers.
Serves 12 to 15.