Traditional Sherry Trifle
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 8 trifle sponges
- 4 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 6 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 12 ounces (350 grams) frozen raspberries, partially thawed
- 2 ounces (50 grams) ratafia biscuits
- 1 pint (550ml) milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, plus a little for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn flour
- 3/4 pint (425ml) whipping cream
- 2 ounces (50g) flaked almonds, toasted
- Glace cherries to decorate
- Base: Split the sponges in half then spread each half thinly with raspberry jam. Sandwich
each half back together and cut into quarters. Place in the base of three and a
half pint (2 litre) glass trifle bowl. Sprinkle the sherry over the sponges and
spoon over the partially thawed raspberries and their juice.
- Roughly crush the ratafia biscuits and sprinkle over the raspberries.
- Chill for 3 to 4 hours.
- Custard: Place the milk and vanilla pod in a small pan and slowly bring to just below
boiling point. Transfer to a heatproof jug and leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Remove
the vanilla pod from the milk.
- Place the egg yolks, corn flour and sugar in a bowl and whisk together. Whisk
in the milk, then strain the liquid back into the rinsed pan through a fine sieve.
Cook over a gentle heat , stirring constantly until the custard starts to thicken,
being careful not to allow to boil. Cook gently for two minutes unit the custard
is a thick pouring consistency. Quickly pour the custard into a cold bowl to prevent
further cooking. Sprinkle the surface with a thin coating of caster sugar to prevent
a skin forming. Set aside and let cool.
- Spoon the cold custard onto the raspberries in the trifle bowl, spreading to
the edges with a palette knife.
- Topping: Gently whip the cream until it nearly holds its shape, then spoon three quarters
of it on top of the custard and carefully spread to the sides of the bowl.
- Whip the remaining cream until it holds it shape. Pipe swirls of whipped cream around
the top of the bowl and decorate with flaked almonds and cherries.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Trifle and Tiramisu Recipes