Vanilla Raspberry Trifle
- 2 (3 to 3 5/8 ounce) boxes vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
- 4 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 4 slices pound cake, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 1/3 cup red raspberry preserves or jam
- 1/3 cup crushed almond or coconut macaroons
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Prepare both packages of pudding mix as label directs; cool slightly.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons of the vanilla extract. Place clear plastic wrap or waxed
paper on the surface of the pudding. Cool.
- Meanwhile, spread one side of the pound cake with preserves. Arrange preserves
side up in a 2-quart glass serving dish. Sprinkle with crushed macaroons. Reserve
a few whole raspberries for garnish; gently stir 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract
into the remaining raspberries. Spoon over crumbs.
- Pour cooled custard over berries
and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Combine cream with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Whip until stiff;
spread half over the custard. Garnish with remaining whipped cream and reserved
- Chill thoroughly.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings.
Strawberry preserves and frozen strawberries may be substituted for the raspberries.