Texas Bean Dip
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup mild picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup low-fat Monterey
jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Low-fat tortilla
- Place beans in a bowl; partially mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon until
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 4 minutes over medium
- Add beans, tomato, picante sauce, cumin, chili powder and pepper. Cook for 5
minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and lime juice. Stir until well blended
and cheese has melted.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.
Makes 40 (1 tablespoon) servings.
Nutrition information per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0.2g fat (0g saturated
fat; 8% of calories from fat); 0mg cholesterol; 107mg sodium; 3.6g carbohydrate;
1.2g fiber; 1.1g protein
Exchange value per tablespoon: 1/4 starch
Source: The All New Diabetic Cookbook