Bittersweet Chocolate Torte
46% calorie reduction from traditional recipe
- 6 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup sugar-free apricot preserves or apricot spreadable fruit
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Equal Spoonful*
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Rich Chocolate Glaze
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon stick butter or margarine
* May substitute 36 packets Equal sweetener
- Torte: Heat butter, chocolate, milk, preserves and coffee crystals in small saucepan,
whisking frequently until chocolate is almost melted.
- Remove pan from heat; continue whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture
is smooth. Whisk in egg yolk and vanilla; add Equal, whisking until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks in large bowl.
- Fold chocolate mixture into egg whites; fold in combined flour and salt.
- Lightly grease bottom of 8-inch cake pan and line with parchment or waxed paper.
Pour cake batter into pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean. Do not over-bake.
- Carefully loosen side of cake from pan with small sharp knife, which will keep
cake from cracking as it cools.
- Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack; refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until chilled.
- Remove cake from pan and place on serving plate.
- Pour Rich Chocolate Glaze over top of cake, letting it run down sides. Let cake
stand about 1 hour or until glaze is set.
- Garnish top of cake with prepared whipped topping, fresh raspberries and fresh
- Rich Chocolate Glaze: Melt chocolate and butter in small saucepan, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with whipped topping, fresh raspberries and fresh mint, if desired.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 145 cal, 9 g carb., 3 g pro., 12 g fat,
36 g chol., 116 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 fat
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):